Professor of Psychiatry
- Phone: 314-286-1320
- Email: email@example.com
Education & Training
- Fellowship: Washington University, St. Louis, MO, 1981
- PhD: Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, 1980
- MS: University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, 1974
- BA: University of Illinois, Chicago, IL, 1972
- Distinguished Contribution to Behavioral Medicine and Psychology Award, American Diabetes Association, 2009
- AHCPR Panel on Guidelines for Treatment of Depression in Primary Care, 1992
- New Investigator Research Award, National Institutes of Diabetes, Digestive and Kidney Diseases, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985
Areas of Clinical Interest
Psychiatric disorder in adults with diabetes mellitus, depression, diabetes, metabolism
Diabetes Research: Psychoactive therapy of poor glucose regulation in adults with diabetes. Psychoactive therapy of affective disorders and anxiety states in diabetes. Relationship of psychiatric illness to adherence with medical and psychiatric treatment regimens. Relationship of adherence to diabetes control. Relationship of personality characteristics to glucose regulation in diabetes. Utilization of health care services following treatment-induced remission of psychiatric illness.
Gastrointestinal Disease Research: Antidepressant therapy of gastrointestinal syndromes in diabetes. Psychiatric illness as a predictor of response to steroid therapy in patients with inflammatory bowel disease.
- Scherrer JF, Garfield LD, Lustman PJ, Hauptman PJ, Chrusciel T, Zeringue A, Carney RM, Freedland KE, Bucholz KK, Owen R, Newcomer JW, True WR (2011 Apr). Antidepressant drug compliance: reduced risk of MI and mortality in depressed patients. Am J Med. 124(4): 318-24.
Read publication »Antidepressant drug compliance: reduced risk of MI and mortality in depressed patients.
- Anderson RJ, Gott BM, Sayuk GS, Freedland KE, Lustman PJ (2010 Mar). Antidepressant pharmacotherapy in adults with type 2 diabetes: rates and predictors of initial response. Diabetes Care. 33(3): 485-9.
Read publication »Antidepressant pharmacotherapy in adults with type 2 diabetes: rates and predictors of initial response.
- Freedland KE, Skala JA, Carney RM, Rubin EH, Lustman PJ, D?vila-Rom?n VG, Steinmeyer BC, Hogue CW Jr (2009 Apr). Treatment of depression after coronary artery bypass surgery: a randomized controlled trial. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 66(4): 387-96.
Read publication »Treatment of depression after coronary artery bypass surgery: a randomized controlled trial.
- Lustman PJ, Penckofer SM, Clouse RE (2008 Dec). Recent advances in understanding depression in adults with diabetes. Curr Psychiatry Rep. 10(6): 495-502.
Read publication »Recent advances in understanding depression in adults with diabetes.
- Williams MM, Clouse RE, Lustman PJ (2006). Treating depression to prevent diabetes and complications: Understanding depression as a medical risk factor. Clinical Diabetes 2006;24:79-86.
- Lustman PJ, Clouse RE, Nix BD, Freedland KE, Rubin EH, McGill JB, Williams MM, Gelenberg AJ, Ciechanowski PS, Hirsch IB (2006 May). Sertraline for prevention of depression recurrence in diabetes mellitus: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 63(5): 521-9.
Read publication »
Funded Research Projects
NIMH(PI):Improving Depression Treatment Outcomes with an Insulin-Sensitizing Agent
Barnes-Jewish Hospital Foundation(PI):Developing Novel Treatments and Target in Major Depressive Disorder