Associate Professor of Psychiatry
- Phone: 314-286-0752
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Education & Training
- Postdoctoral Training: Nathaniel Heintz, Rockefeller University, 2010
- PhD: Neuroscience: University of California Los Angeles, 2005
- BS: Truman State University, 1999
- Highlighted as one of Genome Technology’s ‘Up and Coming Investigators’, 2012
My research focuses on trying to understand the genetic and cellular underpinnings of both normal behavior and psychiatric disorders, primarily autism. We combine data from human genetics studies with high througphput cell-type specific gene expression profiling to identify genes and circuits that may contribute to mental disorders, which we then test with mouse models. We are particularly focused on neuromodulatory systems and glia.
- Cammack AJ, Moudgil A, Chen J, Vasek MJ, Shabsovich M, McCullough K, Yen A, Lagunas T, Maloney SE, He J, Chen X, Hooda M, Wilkinson MN, Miller TM, Mitra RD, Dougherty JD, (2020 May). A viral toolkit for recording transcription factor-DNA interactions in live mouse tissues. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A.. 117(18): 10003-10014.
Read publication »A viral toolkit for recording transcription factor-DNA interactions in live mouse tissues.
- Sapkota Darshan,Lake Allison M.,Yang Wei,Yang Chengran,Wesseling Hendrik,Guise Amanda,Uncu Ceren,Dalal Jasbir S.,Kraft Andrew W.,Lee Jin-Moo,Sands Mark S.,Steen Judith A.,Dougherty Joseph D.,;Cell-Type-Specific Profiling of Alternative Translation Identifies Regulated Protein Isoform Variation in the Mouse
Read publication »Cell-Type-Specific Profiling of Alternative Translation Identifies Regulated Protein Isoform Variation in the Mouse Brain
- Sakers K, Lake AM, Khazanchi R, Ouwenga R, Vasek MJ, Dani A, Dougherty JD, (2017 05). Astrocytes locally translate transcripts in their peripheral processes. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A.. 114(19): E3830-E3838.
Read publication »Astrocytes locally translate transcripts in their peripheral processes.
- m. Xu X, Wells AB, O’Brien DR, Nehorai A, Dougherty JD. Cell type-specific expression analysis to identify putative cellular mechanisms for neurogenetic disorders. J Neurosci. 2014 Jan 22; 34(4):1420-31. PMID: 24453331; PMCID: PMC3898298
Read publication »Analytical approaches to RNA profiling data for the identification of genes enriched in specific cells.
- Doyle JP, Dougherty JD, Heiman M, Schmidt EF, Stevens TR, Ma G, Bupp S, Shrestha P, Shah RD, Doughty ML, Gong S, Greengard P, Heintz N (2008 Nov 14). Application of a translational profiling approach for the comparative analysis of CNS cell types. Cell. 135(4): 749-62.
Read publication »Application of a translational profiling approach for the comparative analysis of CNS cell types.
- Kopp ND, Nygaard KR, Liu Y, McCullough KB, Maloney SE, Gabel HW, Dougherty JD, (2020 Apr). Functions of Gtf2i and Gtf2ird1 in the developing brain: transcription, DNA-binding, and long term behavioral consequences. Hum. Mol. Genet..
Read publication »Functions of Gtf2i and Gtf2ird1 in the developing brain: transcription, DNA binding and long-term behavioral consequences.
Funded Research Projects
NIDA(Significant Contributor):Using Transgenic Mice to Examine the Role of CNIH3 Variants in Opioid Dependence
NIMH(PI):Regulation of Mammalian Social Behavior by the GTF2I Family of Proteins
NINDS(PI):Local Translation in Astrocytes
Simons Foundation(PI):4/4 SSC-ASC Whole Genome Sequencing Consortium: UTR mutation analysis
NINDS(Significant Contributor):Using Motor Neuron Specific miRNA to Understand and Develop Novel Therapeutics for Motor Neuron Disease
Brain and Behavior Research Foundation(PI):NARSAD Independent Investigator Grant
NHGRI(Significant Contributor):Massively Parallel Characterization of CIS-regulatory Elements in the Brain
Hope Center(Significant Contributor):Regulation of Stop Codon Readthrough of Aqp4 and Role in Aß Clearance
NIMH(PI):Highly Parallel Analysis of 5′ and 3′ UTR variants in Autism Spectrum Disorders