Additional Titles & Roles
- Vice-Chairman for Clinical Affairs
- Professor of Psychology
- Professor of Medicine
Education & Training
- PhD: St. Louis University, St. Louis, MO, 1978
- MDiv: Concordia Seminary, St. Louis, MO, 1972
- BA: Concordia Senior College, Fort Wayne, IN, 1969
- ABPP -Board Certified in Clinical Psychology: American Board of Professional Psychology, 2009
- Florence Halpern Award for Distinguished Professional Contributions to Clinical Psychology, American Psychological Association, 2014
- Joseph D. Matarazzo Award for Distinguished Contributions to Psychology in Academic Health Centers, Association of Psychologists in Academic Health Centers (Section VIII), Society of Clinical Psychology, American Psychological Association, 2013
- American Psychological Association, Presidential Citation for Outstanding Contributions to the Review of the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT), Society of Clinical Psychology, 2012
- Distinguished Alumnus, Concordia College, Bronxville, New York, 2018
- Distinguished Professional Contributions to Institutional Practice, American Psychological Association, 2020
- Distinguished Service to the Profession of Psychology, American Board of Professional Psychology, 2020
Areas of Clinical Interest
Disasters and PTSD, medical psychology, clinical psychology, functional pain, organ donor behaviors, organ transplantation
My current research has focused on organ donation. I have studied live donors, organ procurement professionals, the circumstances of donation and follow-up studies of live donors and an NIH follow-up study on living lung donors together with five other universities. I am especially interested in altruistic organ donors. A HRSA project provides for travel and lodging for relatives or friends who wish to be living donors but can’t cover these costs. My work with Dr. Carol North involves studying somatization disorder in patients with interstitial cystitis, a NIH project with WU Urology and trauma/disaster.
- North CS, Pollio DE, Sims OT, Jain MK, Brown GR, Downs DL, Lisker-Melman M, Hong BA: An effectiveness study of group psychoeducation for hepatitis C patients in community clinics. European Journal of Gastroenterology & Hepatology 2017; In Press.
- White M, Pollio DE, Hong BA, North CS: Memories of intimate partner violence and the process of change. Annals of Clinical Psychiatry 2017; 29(1):35-45.
- Eley DS, Leung J, Hong BA, Cloninger KM, Cloninger CR, (2016 August). Identifying the Dominant Personality Profiles in Medical Students: Implications for Their Well-Being and Resilience. PLoS ONE. 11(8): e0160028.
Read publication »Identifying the Dominant Personality Profiles in Medical Students: Implications for Their Well-Being and Resilience.
- Mitchell K, Lewis RS, Satterfield J, Hong BA: The new medical college admission test: implications for teaching psychology. American Psychologist 2016; 71(2):125-135.
- Robiner WN, Fossum TA, Hong BA: Bowling alone: the decline of social engagement and other challenges for the American Psychological Association and its divisions. Clinical Psychology: Science and Practice 2015; 22(4):366-383.
- Jacobs CL, Gross CR, Messersmith EE, Hong BA, Gillespie BW, Hill-Callahan P, Taler SJ, Jowsey SG, Beebe TJ, Matas AJ, Odim J, Ibrahim H: Emotional and financial experiences of kidney donors over the past 50 years: the RELIVE study. Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology 2015; 10:221-2231.
Funded Research Projects
HRSA (Key Personnel): National Living Donor Assistance Center
NIH (Co-Investigator): National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK)