Malcolm Bliss Psychopathologic Institute
Malcolm Bliss Psychopathologic Institute opened in 1938 as a hospital in the St. Louis City hospital system. Washington University psychiatry professor Dr. George Ulett initiated clinical research at Bliss in the 1950s. Dr. Ulett later became director of Missouri’s Division of Mental Disease. In 1964, Malcolm Bliss Mental Health Center became part of Missouri’s mental health system. In 1991, Malcolm Bliss Mental Health Center closed. A section of St. Louis State Hospital was temporarily set up to serve patients formerly treated at Malcolm Bliss. In 1996, patients were transferred to a newly built state facility, Metropolitan St. Louis Psychiatric Center. Washington University psychiatry residents and medical students rotated at these hospitals throughout much of their history until most inpatient services were discontinued in 2011.