Jewish Hospital’s neuropsychiatry group was independent of the Department of Psychiatry at the Medical School until 1976. In the late 1950s, an inpatient adult psychiatry unit and an inpatient child psychiatry unit were opened at JH. The child psychiatry unit closed in 1964. These units were initially run by clinicians with a psychodynamic orientation. Dr. Irwin Levy, a neurologist and psychiatrist, headed the JH neuropsychiatry group from 1953 to 1958. The psychiatry division was subsequently headed by Dr. Alex Kaplan from 1958 to 1966 and Dr. Nathan Simon from 1967 to 1975. JH had its own residency training program until the mid 1970s. Several members of the JH faculty had appointments at St. Louis University. Dr. Harold Wolff served as head of the JH psychiatry department during a transitional year between 1975 and 1976. In 1976, JH contracted with the Washington University Department of Psychiatry, and Dr. Guze appointed Dr. Theodore Reich as Chief of Service. Residents from the department’s residency program and Washington University medical students rotated on the inpatient and outpatient services at JH. Dr. Reich became the Samuel and Mae S. Ludwig Professor of Psychiatry in 1989. He remained Chief of Service at JH until 1994 at which time the inpatient unit at JH was consolidated with the inpatient unit at Barnes Hospital. In 1996, Barnes Hospital and Jewish Hospital consolidated into Barnes-Jewish Hospital.